Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tips on Barrel Curls

Okay, today I am going to share some key tips on how to achieve big barrel curls. I wear my hair in big curls,  and my clients are always asking me how I achieve this look. Keep in mind, that not so perfect hair is popular these days. Don't try to make your hair too perfect. No one wants to look like they are trying too hard!



You can get some great curls with many different tools - flat iron, 1" curling iron, or hot rollers, just to name a few. For me personally, I almost always use a big barrel curling iron on my own hair. In the salon, I usually use my flat iron because it's already plugged in.

Before applying heat...
Always use some type of thermal protection spray!
My favorites are Beyond Shine by Aquage, Hot off the press by Paul Mitchell, or Firewall from AG. All of these spray go on dry hair before applying hot tools.




Basic instructions...
Section your hair into three large sections - around the head from eyebrow to eyebrow, top of the ears, and bottom of the ears. The easiest way is to start with the bottom section  and work your way up. Spray each section before curling with your thermal spray. Don't stress about your sections being perfectly even. Always curl your hair away from your face on both sides. Make sure your curling iron is vertical, not horizontal. Let all of your hair cool off before you comb through it.

Troubleshooting...
-The most common problem I have found while showing my clients how to curl their hair is that they curl their hair under and horizontally. When you do these two things you have curls that "fall" or as I like to say "collapse on each other".
-Do not comb your hair out until it has cooled off. 
-Make sure you don't curl your hair all the way up to your scalp on the top section. 
-Always apply Hairspray LAST! My favorite is Moroccan Oil Finishing Spay. It has a build-able hold that does not weigh your hair down.  If you like a heavier spray try Awapuhi Wild ginger Hairspray from Paul Mitchell.


Want feathered hair like above?

One of the most basic things I learned in cosmetology school was the principles of over-direction. In any hair style you almost always over-direct the hair somewhere while styling it. I often wear my hair "Farrah" like; to achieve a good feathered look you need to over-direct the hair away from your face, almost towards your nose or mirror if you are facing one, then curl the hair away and back. Make sure you do this with the curling iron in a vertical direction. Wait for the hair to cool and then comb through and spray.

I hope these tips and simple instructions can be of some assistance. If you have any questions or problems please feel free to ask in the comment box.


No comments:

Post a Comment